Acne, also known as Acne Vulgaris, is a persistent and long-term skin disease that occurs when dead skin cells and oil from the skin clog hair follicles. Genetics is the primary cause of acne. This skin condition typically includes blackheads or whiteheads, pimples, oily skin, pustules, and scars.
Inflamed acne signifies that bacteria are present on the skin. Overall all, this skin condition can lead to anxiety, lack of confidence, and depression but the great news is acne can be treated.
Welcome to one of the most innovative acne medical spas, where our experts approach our patients with compassion and understanding to meet our shared objective of healthy and clear skin. We will be discussing thoroughly this topic.
There are 2 main types of acne: Non-inflammatory acne and inflammatory acne. People mainly have a combination.
Non-inflammatory or non-inflamed acne closer to the surface of the skin and isn’t caused by bacteria, and has different types. This includes whiteheads and blackheads. These are the least severe forms of acne and typically do not cause any swelling and usually are not painful.
Whiteheads are medically known as Closed Comedones. Typical characteristics are small, whitish or flesh colored bumps or spots with a white, round center surrounded by reddish circle or halo. A hair might sometimes emerge from the center or appear trapped within the blemish. Whiteheads typically do not cause scarring.
Blackheads are also called Open Comedones. These are small, black or dark-colored spots that look like slightly raised bumps. The black coloration is not the results of trapped dirt but whitehead that simply have opened and darkened by being exposed to the air.
Inflammatory or inflamed acne comprises of redness, swelling and pores that are clogged with oil, bacteria and dead skin cells. The bacteria, Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), usually causes acne to become inflamed.
The different types of Inflamed Acne:
• Inflamed Comedones, which are swollen and irritated blackheads and whiteheads.
• Papules which are tiny pus-filled red bumps that appear on the skin’s surface or otherwise known as pimples or medically, as inflammatory papules.
• Pustules are similar to papules but larger in size. However, it’s mainly contains white blood cells. As the body’s immune system gets rid of the infection, it triggers it to pile up inside the pore, thus creating pus. Pustules caused by acne can become hard and painful.
• Nodules are small, pus-filled bumps that are below the skin surface that tend to last for weeks or months. Nodular acne characterized by visibly hard, painful acne lesions deep under the skin that often affect the face, chest, and / or back. These acne nodules tend to last for weeks or months.
• Cysts are the most severe type of inflamed acne. It is usually large and is below the skin surface, filled with pus. It is usually painful when the area is touched and scarring is common.